[Dbix-class] docs updated to help dbic beginners

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Thu Oct 13 21:15:41 CEST 2005

On 10/13/05 3:10 PM, "Matt S Trout" <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 08:32:45PM +0200, Krzysztof Krzyzaniak wrote:
>> Matt S Trout wrote:

>>> Yep. So, here's some things to do -
>>>
>>> 1. There are some useful notes on the wiki. There need to be more. If
>>> anybody figures something out by asking on here or talking to the people in
>>> #dbix-class, *please* drop a quick note somewhere on the wiki.
>>>
>>> 2. Documentation patches such as this are *very* welcome and I'll be
>>> handing
>>> out commit bits to anybody who provides a good one.
>>
>> There is two problems, so far I can only ask the questions (and not
>> answering them) and second my english is far from perfect. So I can only
>> push the things :-)
>
> I'm aware a fair number of people don't have the dubious privilege of
> english as a first language.
>
> Fortunately, I'm a spelling and grammar pedant - I'll fix up submissions as
> they come in, and save my sarcasm for my fellow countrymen :)
>
> The part I have trouble with is figuring out what people need to know and how
> to explain it to them; I write usable but extremely terse reference
> documentation but I can't write tutorial stuff to save my life.

A big step for beginners would be to have the equivalent of this page:

http://cdbi.dcmanaged.com/wiki/Beginners_guide

Noting that most of the page is code, would it be possible to simply post
the code snippets from a working app?  Adding simple headers like update,
delete, insert, search, iterator, relationships above the code chunks would
add some direction.  Alternatively, just post all the code for a small test
application (or even the test cases themselves!).  I really think that
"learn-by-example" can go a long way and save the programmer time and
documentation energy.  That said, I don't have such code yet myself (still
using CDBI), but I bet someone might.

Just my two-cents (and I am a relative beginner....)

Sean