[Dbix-class] Weird build/test failures on CentOS 3, DBIx::Class .06001

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Apr 18 17:18:09 CEST 2006

Gavin Carr wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 02:41:35PM +0100, Matt S Trout wrote:
>> Gavin Carr wrote:
>>> No one got any ideas on this? Anyone out there who has successfully
>>> built on CentOS3/RHEL3, or even perl 5.8.0 in general?
>> perl -Ilib -e 'use DBIx::Class::ResultSource::Table; print "Yay\n" if
>> DBIx::Class::ResultSource::Table->can("new");'
>>
>> might be a start. We really don't have enough information so far to give you a
>> hint yet ...
>
> Thanks Matt - that helped:
>
>   calix$ perl -Ilib -e 'use DBIx::Class::ResultSource::Table; print "Yay\n" if DBIx::Class::ResultSource::Table->can("new");'
>   Weak references are not implemented in the version of perl at lib/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm line 11
>
> It turns out that various RedHat Perls omit weak reference support, apparently
> by omitting the XS version of Scalar::Util, as discussed in the following
> threads:
>
>   http://qs321.pair.com/~monkads/?node_id=481322
>   http://qs321.pair.com/~monkads/?node_id=460411
>
> I tried upgrading to the latest Scalar::Util, but that also barfs with my perl,
> so I think I'm just going to recompile a new perl myself.

Double check your perl's @INC list, RH have a nasty tendency to play with the
order so if you aren't careful updated stuff in site_perl isn't seen for their
packages.

Then again, at some stage something almost always makes me throw vendor perls
out the window in favour of maintaining my own package sets, so don't consider
this a recommendation against going that route in the slightest :)