[Dbix-class] Newbie to ORM and DBIx (pls help)

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu Aug 3 15:31:45 CEST 2006

Anthony Gardner wrote:
> Thank you for that gentlemen. I had a play with it last night and got it
> working but the main thing is ..... I understand how it's working.
>
> As with everything new, is there a time to use it and a time to just use
> DBI (for example)?
>
> Is ORM only useful for large projects or would you recommend trying to
> fit it in to everything you do with a DB?

Depends :)

There's a startup overhead which can be a bit of a pain, although on a
reasonably fast machine it's not too noticeable these days.

I tend to use it for everything, but that's largely because I can knock out a
bunch of DBIC classes and a script to use them just as fast as I could do a
simple DBI script, and I don't have to worry about typo-ing any SQL (which of
course is only runtime checked whereas the perl parser makes a pretty good go
of showing up my typos at startup time :)