[Dbix-class] db handle disconnect?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Aug 9 21:40:18 CEST 2006

Tim Keefer wrote:
> It appears that DBIC is even easier than I thought. Earlier, I found
> this in the docs that made me think caching wasn't being done
> DBIx::Class at the level we needed.
>
> "Note that DBIx::Class::Schema does not cache connections for you. If
>  you use multiple connections, you need to do this manually."

Yes, as in "hold onto the $schema object for a connection you want to
persist". It does specifically say "multiple connections" :)

Generally assume that if CDBI has it, DBIC has the feature, and it probably
works (for us at least) better and faster. The "exceptions" to this are
automatically issuing random SELECTs when you call getters, the
LiveObjectIndex and Class::DBI::Has::Been::Deleted, which production
experience suggest are not features.

> Yes, Gantry and Bigtop originally, and still supports Class::DBI models,
> but we have recently realized that it doesn't play well with the other
> non Class::DBI applications running in our mod_perl environment . We're
> now in the process of adding support for DBIx::Class models which is
> working fine running along side everything else.

Very cool. I'd love to see a DBIC version of Bigtop, it seemed like a rather
neat concept.