[Dbix-class] select from dual

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Wed Aug 16 19:46:21 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 09:33:35AM +0100, Jess Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
>
> >* Jess Robinson <castaway at desert-island.demon.co.uk> [2006-07-17 00:30]:
> >What did you need it for?
>
> Basically, in Oracle, you canÿÿt say things like
>
>     SELECT NOW();
>
> because a SELECT without a `FROM` clause is a syntax error. So
> instead it has this weird special-case single-row, single-column
> table called `dual` that always exists, so you have to say things
> like that like so:
>
>     SELECT SYSDATE FROM dual;
>
> Isnÿÿt Oracle cool?
>
> Nope.. and I knew what it was, I meant which specific application..
>
> Also, Aristotle, your email does weird things to my client.. what are you
> using?

Hmm, that original email showed up fine in my system (mutt, via ssh, in gnome
terminal) - but the reply you quoted has mushed the apostrophes.

The original mail was entirely BASE64 encoded, which seems rather unneccessary
to me - esp since the only extended chars it included were the
backwards-apostrophes. Surely a quoted-printable method would have been more
appropriate?

tjc

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world