[Dbix-class] How to Install Catalyst on windows

Dan Dascalescu ddascalescu+dbic at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 13:22:43 GMT 2006

Don't scare the poor Windows user - I got Catalyst installed on
Windoze pretty fast on the second try (and horribly slow on the first :).
Maybe he wants to use some Windows-specific Perl debugger (Optiperl?)
I'd recommend Komodo, but anyways,

The procedure to install Catalyst on Windows:

1. Uninstall any existing Perl (mine was not the latest anyways)
2. Install ActiveState Perl 5.8.819
3. Install Dev-C++ to be able to compile
4. Run cat-install
5. Figure out what didn't compile/install, perl -MCPAN -e "install
Those::Modules" and run cat-Install again
6. cat-install will eventually fail because of a command-line length
limitation in nmake. Go to your CPAN build directory (by default
c:\perl\cpan\build) and run "prove -l t/". If that passes, nmake
install.

7. perl -MCPAN -e "install 'Catalyst::Plugin::StackTrace'"
perl -MCPAN -e "install 'Template::Timer'"
perl -MCPAN -e "install 'Catalyst::View::TT'"
perl -MCPAN -e "install 'Catalyst::Devel'"

I currently have Catalyst running on Windows XP with DBD::Pg and all
helpers help fine.

PS: why is this on #dbix-class and not on #catalyst?