[Dbix-class] Question about dynamic class generation (DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader)

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 15:43:49 CET 2006

Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:02:55AM +0000, Dave Howorth wrote:
>>castaway at desert-island.demon.co.uk wrote:
>>>IMO (and I may be off base), it should be possible to use Loader, which
>>>will have a standard set of predictable results (which should be
>>>detailed in the docs), and then only write your own classes for the
>>>parts you need to change / expand. Some flag should possibly set whether
>>>the user-created classes replace or extend the Loader ones .. ?
>>FWIW, that's what I do in my home-grown CDBI/Maypole loader. It works
>>well for me. I haven't needed to replace any automatically-generated
>>classes; I just override individual methods. For example, I define an
>>alternate semantics for find_or_create in my base class and override the
>>method in those classes where it's appropriate (some classes have
>>special change-logging built in that alters how the find part of
>>find_or_create needs to work).
>>
>>It would be nice when I get around to migrating to find that DBIC
>>already has the mechanism :)
>
> left_base_classes and additional_base_classes should already do the trick
> for this in all Loaders (including the CDBI one)

I'm not sure I understand you. We're talking about a mechanism that
dynamically generates appropriate packages for all tables and then goes
and automatically loads any modules it finds for those packages too. At
any rate that's what I'm talking about. I'm not sure how
left_base_classes and additional_base_classes help?

Cheers, Dave