[Dbix-class] [Catalyst] Bugfree development release?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Jul 4 00:07:38 CEST 2006

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior wrote:
>> Hey, not complaining - but it *was* a dev release from the -current and it
>> won't go to trunk and thence CPAN until we've fixed it.
>
> Yes, yes. But I thought that a release was emminent and then "OMG the
> app doesn't work" panic bells started ringing all over my head. And
> I'm *really* glad you'll be fixing it, even though it's not a
> supported API (honestly, I didn't really know it was an unsupported
> hack when you told me to use it - I assumed I had just overlooked the
> docs or something like that).

I thought I said "this probably works but it should be documented and tested".
Generally that means "it's unsupported unless you write said docs and tests" :)

One "OMG the app doesn't work" error is enough to block a DBIC release - hence
why we tend to take a few dev releases before we bother marking one RC quality.

This is a complete pain in the ass and I take no pleasure whatsoever in the
amount of fucking about that results for the maints. But this thing talks to
you guys' production databases and quite a few of our clients' as well, so
it's not like we have an alternative.

( <whimper>wonder if there's anybody left that remembers this was originally
intended to be a sodding research project</whimper> ... :)