[Dbix-class] Startup times for DBIX::Class

Brandon Black blblack at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 21:21:43 CEST 2006

On 7/6/06, Matija Grabnar <matija at literal.si> wrote:
> I am concerned about the time it takes DBIx::Class to initialize with a
> moderate sized database
> (around 30 tables). It looks like it takes about half a second per table
> - even though all the data
> about the tables has been gathered by sql translator.

Performance-improving patches welcome :)

But seriously, I think you should also look at your local setup for
optimizations.  30 tables in what appears to be 8 seconds seems a bit
slow.  Here's something for comparison:

Host environment: SuSE 10.1 on a Compaq laptop (Pentium 4-M 2.2Ghz,
512MB RAM), running a Gnome desktop and Lotus Notes under Crossover
Office, etc.  Stock (SuSE-built) Perl 5.8.8 w/ ithreads.  DBIx::Class
v0.06003, all other relevant perl modules at the latest and greatest
version I could manage to install.

DBIC Schema: 64 ResultSource classes, plus 9 custom ResultSet classes,
and 2 ResultSet base classes that some of the 9 use.  Also, while your
schema doesn't seem to have any relationships defined, between my 64
ResultSource classes there are a total of 126 "has_many" or
"belongs_to" relationships loaded.

Load time: 2.6 seconds on average

-- Brandon