[Dbix-class] creating a row that's empty but for an auto-incremented key?

John Siracusa siracusa at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 8 17:11:57 CEST 2006

On 7/8/06 12:35 AM, David Kamholz wrote:
> -- there doesn't seem to be a single "right syntax" for it. "INSERT
> INTO foo;" doesn't work for all databases. Some allow "INSERT INTO
> foo DEFAULT VALUES;", but I believe that produces an error in mysql.
> So we haven't found a general solution yet which is the right way of
> handling it.

Another alternative is:

    INSERT INTO foo (anycol) VALUES (DEFAULT);

That works in MySQL and Postgres, where anycol is literally any column in
the table.

That said, so far, I haven't found a syntax that works "everywhere."  This
type of thing has to be constructed on a case-by-case basis for each db.

-John