[Dbix-class] Startup times for DBIX::Class

Matija Grabnar matija at literal.si
Sat Jul 15 23:12:23 CEST 2006

Jess Robinson wrote:
> sounds odd to me, given that it only has to parse/load one file in the
> first instance.

Well, I first posted this thread because I was stunned by how slow the
single-file load
was. I felt I was doing something stupid, and I thought someone would
point out whatever
stupid thing I was doing.

When no-one posted anything that helped, I continued experimenting, and
saw the difference
with the multi-file load. The difference was also the difference between
a tool I could use and a tool that was infeasible for a majority of my
tasks.

I don't know if the single-file load method can be speeded up or not,
but to be quite honest, now that I've got a method that is fast enough
for me, I'm happy, and I don't care about single file so much anymore...
> Maybe the load diference is in the amount of column_info, or the rels..

That's why I posted the whole shebang to the mailing list. I see from
Matt's reply that it wasn't the reason.
> Out of curiosity, which DB is it? The sqlt method should get your
> relationships just fine..

It was mysql. Dunno why sqlt didn't pick up the relationships, I thought
I installed the latest version from CVS. Anyway
DBIx::Class:Schema::Loader picks them up for me quite nicely, and since
the resulting schema is also faster to load, it's a complete no-brainer.

I want to thank all the authors for a wonderful tool. You've saved my
bacon in the past few weeks.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.