[Dbix-class] possible bug in DBIC:ResultSet?

Mark Hedges hedges at ucsd.edu
Wed Jun 7 22:10:28 CEST 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Jess Robinson wrote:

> Umm, not sure I understand the restated problem, but if your DB is
> auto-filling fields and you want to retrieve them into your row object,
> you want to either:
> write your own component thath overloads insert, just like PK::Auto does,
> for those fields
> or:
> Call ->discard_changes on your object, after inserting it, which will
> update it with values in the DB.

The problem is that the auto-filled timestamp field is part of the MCPK.
PK's for a support ticket system are originator e-mail, subject and timestamp.

If I overload insert, the only thing I have to go on are the two other
fields of the MCPK.  I could do SELECT...ORDER BY timefield DESC LIMIT 1
but that wouldn't be guaranteed to be the same row if someone else inserted
another message in that split second.

I'm pretty sure discard_changes would behave the same way, since it doesn't
yet have all the values of the MCPK with which to update it from the DB.

It is easiest just to pass a DateTime->now() for the field to $rs->create().
That works fine.

Mark