[Dbix-class] DBIx::Class or Rose::DB::Object or other???

Jesper Krogh jesper at krogh.cc
Mon Jun 19 07:18:36 CEST 2006

Matt S Trout wrote:
>> 1. RDBO is faster.
>> 2. DBIC has a Class::DBI compatibility layer that will make the
>> transition from CDBI easier
>
> RDBO is much faster on the perl side; in a majority of situations you
> can generate SQL that's just as efficient on the database using DBIC
> (certainly for selects, which in most apps is likely to be the majority
> of the database load - although RDBO supports prefetching of multiple
> one-many relations at once at the same level, which DBIC doesn't as yet).

scales quite bad. In a setup with > 30 tables, the load time for the
modules in DBIx::Class is more than 2 seconds. (not using the loader or
anything). (measured on a decent Opteron server)

In Catalyst.. I would say "it doesn't matter" but if you're using the
ORM from perlscripts too, then this is a quite big overhead.

Jesper

Jesper Krogh, jesper at krogh.cc