[Dbix-class] "fork- and thread-safe"

Mark Hedges hedges at ucsd.edu
Fri Jun 23 21:27:41 CEST 2006

I tried to explain on the Mason list that DBIx::Class is "fork-
and thread-safe" in a discussion on how (why not) to cache a
DBI connection at Apache start-up.

It occurred to me I don't really know what this means, and I
couldn't find in previous discussions or the DBIC::Storage::DBI
man page what actually happens.

If I connect in the startup.pl, does that mean that each forked
child shares the connection?  (I'm guessing no.)

If I connect in startup.pl under an Apache2 threaded worker
model, does that mean each mod_perl thread shares the
connection?

How does this actually work under FastCGI?

Is there any way for multiple processes or threads to really
share a DBIC connection?

Thanks.

Mark