[Dbix-class] Problems while using the newest DBIx-Class-current

Nilson Santos Figueiredo Junior acid06 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 17:15:06 CEST 2006

Today I've decided to try out how the newest DBIx::Class would fare
against our in production Catalyst application.

Unfortunately, the results weren't very good. The first resulted in a:

Deep recursion on subroutine "DBIx::Class::ResultSet::search" at C:/Nilson/stuff
/cgi/MyTasks/script/../lib/MyTasks/Schema/ResultSet/Task.pm line 21.
Deep recursion on subroutine "MyTasks::Schema::ResultSet::Task::search_rs" at C:
/Nilson/stuff/cgi/MyTasks/script/../lib/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm line 141.

Now, I know that I don't need to define my own search_rs() anymore and
if I drop its declaration, it works (at least the first request works,
for now). So this issue was resolved and just made me aprehensive.

But then, another (maybe serious) issue came up. When trying to access
a previously working Catalyst action, I started getting this:

Couldn't render template "undef error -
DBIx::Class::ResultSet::count(): Error executing 'SELECT COUNT(
DISTINCT( me.id ) ) FROM task_user me  JOIN task task ON ( task.id =
me.task_id ) LEFT JOIN task_log logs ON ( logs.task_id = task.id )
WHERE ( me.user_id = ? )': Unknown column 'me.id' in 'field list' at
C:\Nilson\stuff\cgi\MyTasks\root\user\view.tt line 13

This worries me a little bit since the upgrade to the newest DBIC
might not be smooth as I thought it would be. The offending code in
the template is a mere count() on the resultset. I'll try to provide
as much code as possible so it might be easier to figure out the

The resultset comes from the controller as:

  $c->stash->{tasks} = $user->tasks->search_hours_spent;

The $user DBIC class is defined as:

    package MyTasks::Schema::User;
    use warnings;
    use strict;
    use base qw/DBIx::Class/;

    __PACKAGE__->load_components(qw/PK::Auto Core/);
    __PACKAGE__->add_columns(qw/id login passwd name type/);

    # foreign keys

    # lançamentos realizados pelo usuário
    __PACKAGE__->has_many('logs'       => 'MyTasks::Schema::TaskLog',

    # tarefas criadas pelo usuário
    __PACKAGE__->has_many('created_tasks' => 'MyTasks::Schema::Task',

    # tarefas do usuário
    __PACKAGE__->has_many('task_users' => 'MyTasks::Schema::TaskUser',
    __PACKAGE__->many_to_many('tasks' => 'task_users', 'task');

The search_hours_spent() is a method defined in
MyTasks::Schema::Task's custom resultset class:
MyTasks::Schema::ResultSet::Task. And it is defined as:

    sub search_hours_spent {
        my $self = shift;
        my $alias = $self->{attrs}{alias};

                join     => [qw/logs/],
                select   => [(map {"${alias}.${_}"}
$self->result_source->columns), {sum => 'logs.hours_spent'} ],
                as       => [$self->result_source->columns, qw/hours_spent/],
                group_by => ["${alias}.id"]

I don't know if there's something terribly wrong I'm doing, but since
it worked on 0.06002 I suppose it should keep working. ;-)

If you need any more information, I'd be glad to post it.


-Nilson Santos F. Jr.

More information about the Dbix-class mailing list