[Dbix-class] Oracle Auto-PK no longer works after upgrade to0.05xxx and conversion to Schema

James FitzGibbon jfitzgibbon at primustel.ca
Mon Mar 13 14:24:29 CET 2006

The way the database is set up (and this is not my choice) is that there is
a package like this:

CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE uuid_seq AS

    FUNCTION NEXTUUID RETURN VARCHAR2;
    FUNCTION CURRUUID RETURN VARCHAR2;

END uuid_seq;
/

CREATE OR REPLACE PACKAGE BODY uuid_seq AS

    current_uuid CHAR(36) := NULL;

    FUNCTION new_uuid RETURN VARCHAR2 AS LANGUAGE JAVA
    NAME 'UUIDGenerate.newUUID() return java.lang.String';

    FUNCTION NEXTUUID RETURN VARCHAR2 IS
    BEGIN
        current_uuid := new_uuid;
        RETURN current_uuid;
    END;

    FUNCTION CURRUUID RETURN VARCHAR2 IS
    BEGIN
        IF current_uuid IS NULL THEN
            raise_application_error(
                -20000,
                'uuid_seq.NEXTUUID has not been called yet'
            );

        END IF;
        RETURN current_uuid;
    END;

END uuid_seq;

The UUID generation is done using a java library linked into Oracle.

The naming is designed to mimic a built-in Oracle sequence.  It would be
ideal if the functions were called CURRVAL and NEXTVAL, but I believe those
are reserved names and thus unavailable.

I'm not sure what the hang-up is with having some UUIDs come from Data::UUID
and some from the database.  The database is on a different box, so given
that the generator is seeded using the IEEE 802 address, they would be from
two completely different series.  Maybe that's the problem.  Maybe the DBAs
just don’t get the U (first or second) in "UUID".

I'm open to suggestions as to how I can keep them happy without jumping
through all these DBIC hoops though.