[Dbix-class] Documentation formatting

Andrew Ford A.Ford at ford-mason.co.uk
Fri Mar 24 22:13:44 CET 2006

Justin Guenther wrote:
> On 3/24/06, Andrew Ford <A.Ford at ford-mason.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> A couple of general points on the documentation:
>>
>> 1. the indent for verbatim text is in many cases too small.  For example
>> in the Manual/Example.pod file uses an indent of only one space.  When
>> formatted through groff and printed out this results in a typeset indent
>> of less than 2mm, which is very hard to read.  The spacing is also used
>> literally when man pages are displayed in Emacs.  I would suggest a
>> standard indent in the POD of 4 spaces -- it also makes reading the raw
>> POD easier than indents of just one or two spaces.
>>

> The indent for verbatim text should be 2 spaces, I'll go around fixing
> it if it's not. I think 2 spaces is enough to be able to at a glance
> discern verbatim text from the descriptions. Comments?

I would still argue for 4 spaces.  Personally I find two an indent of
two spaces difficult to make out in some circumstances -- don't know
whether it is just my age or eyesight.  The Manual/Example.pod has
extended code samples with just a one character indent, which is
impossible to discern under Emacs or printed out.  The CPAN-style HTML
formatting does of course make verbatim blocks very evident, but I for
one tend to view man pages in an Xterm, under Emacs or printed through
groff and badly formatted man pages are a right pain.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ford,  Director    Pauntley Prints / Ford & Mason Ltd
A.Ford at ford-mason.co.uk   South Wing Compton House