[Dbix-class] SQL::Translator 0.08 - needed for release

Jess Robinson castaway at desert-island.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 18 15:17:00 CEST 2006

I keep getting thumped about this, so here goes:

In general, 0.08_01 seems usable, since many DBIx::Class folks are already
using it, so if I've missed any complaints or patches, please send them to
me or the sqlfairy list.

What I'd like to add/finish, before releasing 0.08 is a chunk of fixing to
the diffing code, currently it lives in its own little world, and makes up
the SQL as it goes along (See SQL::Translator::Diff, extracted from
sqlt-diff into a module). I've been adding functions to the
database-Producer modules like "alter_field", "add_field", "drop_field"
which produce the sql needed for the appropriate database, given SQLT
schema objects (c.f. SQL::Translator::Schema::Field etc). These are still
needed in some places, e.g. SQLite, which only supports a minimal subset
of ALTER, and probably needs DROP TABLE, CREATE TABLE for most things
(ick).

So SQL::Translator::Diff needs to:

1) check if the producer its asked to translate to supports diffing (i.e.
    the alter functions)
2) actually call the alter functions to produce the SQL
3) probably be split into "diff_table", "diff_field" etc to make
    it more readable.
4) still pass it's tests ;)
5) have tests for all the different DBs supported
6) ?? - I must have missed something..

Then I think we're good to go.. Any volunteers? tests? ;)

Jess