[Dbix-class] Use of ->resultset mandatory?

Steven Mackenzie dbix at aptile.co.uk
Mon Oct 30 21:43:52 GMT 2006

Christopher H. Laco wrote:

>Steven Mackenzie wrote:
>

>>Why is there no accessor in the schema class for each table? Wouldn't it
>>be obvious to type
>> $schema->MyTableClass->search( .. )
>>
>>Not quite as brief as the CDBI style, but resultset('') starts to hurt
>>my fingers (especially the punctuation parts of it ...)
>>
>>Steven
>>

>Don't always assume that table eq 'tableclass', or even schema class.
>The three need not be related by name in any way.
>
>  package My::Schema::Foo;
>  __PACKAGE__->table('stuff');
>  __PACKAGE__->source_name('MyBar');
>
>  $schema->resultset('MyBar')->search;
>

>  package My::Schema::Foo2;
>  __PACKAGE__->table('stuff');
>  __PACKAGE__->add_column('evenmore');
>  __PACKAGE__->source_name('MyBest');
>
>  $schema->resultset('MyBest')->search;
>

>You can use two resultsource classes against the same table(), kind of
>like inherited tables.

Aha, I see. In the example above, the base table in the DB has a full
set of columns, and My::Schema::Foo presents one subset of them, and
My::SchemaFoo2 exposes another set of them? It's possible that my head
wouldn't be able to navigate three layers of indirection (source
name->package name->table name), but nothing forces me to write code
that uses it, so that's OK  :-)

In the example above, if the same row from the base class is
instantiated as a Foo and a Foo2, are the column values synchronised? If
not, then it's more correct to stick to a single class per table surely?

In my quest to avoid typing resultset(''), is there a reason why I can't
have source_name create accessors in the $shema object, eg,
  $schema->MyBest->search;