[Dbix-class] can't get PK::Auto with MSSQL thru Sybase - fix?

Robert Dobbs bobisdobbs at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 7 19:41:19 CEST 2006

>From: "Brandon Black" <blblack at gmail.com>
>Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:21:52 -0500
>
>Setting it manually via Schema->storage_type('::DBI::Sybase::MSSQL')
>is the "right thing" to do which has worked for others.  Can you guve more
>specifics on what's generating the ct_send() errors in that case?

Sorry, I changed the subject line.  Here is a repost in this thread.
It turns out DBD::Sybase is unusable because it does not support ?
placeholders in SQL queries and is somewhat of a pile.  Using FreeTDS under
unixodbc is the solution.  I did end up having to write my own strftime
pattern for dates because I don't know how to get a format other than the
one that gets returned from the server (below.)

Robert Dobbs wrote: (i.e. Mark wrote because Outlook sucks)
>>How do other people connect under Linux/Unix to a Microsoft SQL server? Do
>>you use ODBC, and if so which driver do you recommend?

It seems the solution to this whole problem is not to use DBD::Sybase, but
to use DBD::ODBC which is more mature now than the documentation says it is.
Seems to be working okay so far. I'll let you know how it goes, if there are
other things to put in there. I may need to set the MSSQL module as the
storage type, and/or I may still need my own datetime inflators since our
dates seem to be returned as "Sep 1 2006 03:45PM" and not like the strftime
pattern in the current module.

For posterity, here are example entries from the files I needed to get
FreeTDS/ODBC/MS SQL Server 200* working.

;; /etc/odbc.ini or equiv
[mydb]
Driver = FreeTDS
Description = my mssql db