[Dbix-class] DBIC under Perl 5.6.1

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Mon Sep 18 17:33:23 CEST 2006

Brandon Black wrote:
> On 9/18/06, Christopher H. Laco <claco at chrislaco.com> wrote:
>>

>> When I converted Handel from CDBI to DBIC, I prereq went from 5.6.1 to
>> 5.8.1. I'm not terribly concerned about that, but if I could shoehorn my
>> perl req back down to 5.6.1, that might give it a slightly greater
>> install base.
>

> I'm sure in the year 2012 there will still be someone running perl 4.036,
> but that doesn't mean we should expend any effort supporting them.
> 5.8.1was released approximately 3 years ago now.  I would think
> 5.8.1 is as far back as you'd want to support for any new software, given
> all of the advantages of 5.8.1 over previous versions.
>
> [And to whoever mentiond 5.8.0 earlier: avoid that release like the
> plague...]
>
> -- Brandon

Not that I disagree, but if the difference between someone using and not
using Handel is that they have a 5.6.1 shop and I didn't bother to test
or support 5.6.1, then I'd rather support it than lose the user. But
that's just me.

Plus, there isn't really anything 5.8 specific in Handel except some
minor issues with displaying currency symbols/l10n exceptions, and even
those worked in Handel 0.33 under 5.6.1.

If I were totally invested into 5.8 like Cat was, that would be a
different story. I think DBIC falls more into the former rather than the
latter case. If the only thing holding DBIC back from official 5.6.1
support is the option UTF8Columns component and one test, then I so go
for it. But I'm silly like that. :-P

-=Chris