[Dbix-class] Character set help

Wed Aug 1 21:37:15 GMT 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 20:41:57 +0100
Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 02:52:09PM -0700, Michael Higgins wrote:
> > Folks --
> >
> > Problem is going from microsoft SQL server via Freetds/unixODBC. FEX, TSQL shell shows correct data encoding in query results.
> >
> > But with DBIx::Class, a '?' is coming across, killing the app.
> >
> > Where do I try to find the problem? First, I determined issue is not with Freetds. Must be in DBIC? How do I tweak the setting to get the right encoded data?

BTW, I was happy enough this note was ignored (at first), as it's obviously not finished, or detailed enough.

> How do you know it's not in FreeTDS?

Well, when I run queries in a sql shell, I get the right character encoding for the results. Looking at the log, the binary data comes as it should.

> What does a standalone DBD::Sybase+FreeTDS test script show you?

DBD::Sybase? Actually using DBD::ODBC... a standalone script showed me errors about encoding and to expect '?' as an occasional result.

> What encoding is the data originally in?

UCS2-LE or something like this.

> C'mon dude, so far your question is only one step removed from "how long is
> a piece of string", help us out here :)

Good point, that. In the end, I couldn't find out what was the fix to the problem I was having. Another list ID'd the problem as "Smart Quotes", which shouldn't appear anyway... so I just got 'em out of the original data.

Problem solved, for now.... sorry for the noise!