[Dbix-class] review of various RDBMS ?

Marc Espie espie at nerim.net
Mon Jul 16 12:27:23 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 11:59:22AM +0100, Joel Bernstein wrote:
> In some ways you're comparing apples with Wednesday. What do you mean by
> 'full support'? DBIC has /some/ many-to-many relationship support - see
> DBIx::Class::Relationship - has_many(), belongs_to(), many_to_many().
> If you can express a query you'd perform in SQL, you can use DBIC's
> SQL::Abstract support to perform a join that isn't directly supported by
> the higher level API.

... Which is what I mean by `not supported'. Other relationship types
have full support at the search level. Not so for `many-to-many', which
is not quite a relationship, it has some of its properties, but it's somewhat
faked, and definitely not a first class object compared to what you can do
naturally with other relationshipt types. You can perform searches
across other relationship types, you cannot for `many-to-many',
you either have to write contrieved searches that start from the middle
table, or you have to actually write some SQL code, which is exactly
what I'm trying to avoid in the first place.