[Dbix-class] Re: RFC: Patch for InflateColumn::Datetime to handle invalid date values

Richard Jolly richardjolly at mac.com
Thu Jun 21 08:33:09 GMT 2007

On 15 Jun 2007, at 13:56, Jason Kohles wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2007, at 7:31 AM, Matt S Trout wrote:

>>> That doesn't surprise me at all.  It's not like you're using an
>>> actual
>>> relational database :p
>>>
>>> Maybe this will finally drive it home for everyone: MySQL is to
>>> database server software what PHP is to programming languages.

We've just been bitten by this kind of issue. In our case it's an empty
string silently converted to 0 in an integer column. Which reminded me
of perl :).

You can use strict mode in mysql, which hopefully clears most of this
up. We'll be trying soon. From the docs:

"Make MySQL behave like a“traditional" SQL database system. A simple
description of this mode is “give an error instead of a warning” when
inserting an incorrect value into a column"

   http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/server-sql-mode.html

Richard