[Dbix-class] DBIx::Safe. DBI wrapper.

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu May 10 17:48:43 GMT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 05:09:23PM +0100, Tim Bunce wrote:
> p.s. These days the good folk at svn.perl.org are recommending
> developers use http://code.google.com/hosting/ for new developments.

That's nice for them.

When google start to offer personalised support via IRC and e-mail along with
repository layout and fixup assistance plus shell access to the servers
they're hosting it on, maybe the projects that Shadowcat currently hosts will
want to switch.

I know the above comments come across as a little bit snarky, but I've worked
bloody hard to make sure all the projects we host get what they need, down to
installing and configuring things on various systems in my own time, talking
people through branching and merging and doing full dump-and-restore jobs
with svnadmin to work around repo damage caused by accidental errors. We've
even had companies come to us on a commercial basis for managed development
platforms on the recommendation of their OSS-involved developers.

If the svn.perl.org admins would prefer people used google code than continue
to provide svn services themselves, that's fair enough - and I know quite a
few people who're using google code for stuff very happily. But Shadowcat
is more than happy to carry on doing it and we provide a lot of help for
perl-related projects that an automated human-free solution from Google
can't, so I'm not entirely sure what the relevance of mentioning the svn.
admins' opinion on the matter is.