[Dbix-class] Soliciting Design Input for an Object Caching Module

Johan Lindström johanl at DarSerMan.com
Wed May 16 01:43:09 GMT 2007

At 00:15 2007-05-16, Brandon Black wrote:
>While I think caching at the DBIx::Class level will be useful for some
>people, I would think that a lot of users would leave it turned off
>for consistency reasons.  Even if you're invalidating the cache
>locally on update/delete, that's local to one process.

<delurking>

Isn't that really up to the design of the cache being used?

If you use two in-memory caches (i.e. in process) for two processes, they
will become out-of-sync. So that's the wrong solution. They should use an
on-disk cache that is common to the processes.

Same for processes across machines, they shouldn't have two machine local
caches, they should use a centralized cache, or memcached, or some other
setup that is distributed across the machines.

But again, isn't that up to the cache itself (and the
configuration/deployment of it) to deal with? Not DBIC.

IMHO.

/J