[Dbix-class] Documentation of DBIx::Class schemas

RICHARD COX r_w_cox at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 7 20:01:59 GMT 2007

Not sure about other RDBMSs but in Oracle you can
create comments on tables, columns, views, pretty much
anything.

>comment on TABLE_NAME is 'Foo';
>comment on column TABLE_NAME.COLUMN)NAME IS 'Bar';

Comments can contain any text (markup etc) up to 4000
characters and you can get at them with reqular sql

>select * from user_tab_commments;
>select * from user_col_comments;

So no need for an extra 'docs' key in your column_info

Rick

schemas

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering how do you document your schemas?
>
> I started adding 'docs' keys to the extra hash for
each
> column. I've also added a Doc component that allows
me to set
> up some texts as documentation for the class.
>
> Then I can use basic introspection and generate the
entire
> documentation (right now using a
Catalyst::Controller).

> To prevent unnecessary memory usage in production,
all the
> text of the docs is not kept unless a environment
variable is set.