[Dbix-class] [ANNOUNCE] DBIx::Class 0.08008

Jon Schutz jon+dbix at youramigo.com
Mon Nov 19 00:46:00 GMT 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-18 at 17:41 +0100, Bernhard Weißhuhn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 02:34:34PM +0000, Ash Berlin <ash_cpan at firemirror.com> wrote:
>
> > - Added startup checks to warn loudly if we appear to be running on
> >   RedHat systems from perl-5.8.8-10 and up that have the bless/overload
> >   patch applied (badly) which causes 2x -> 100x performance penalty.
> >   (Jon Schutz)
>
> I think we can do better on the check, please consider the attached
> propsed patch.
>
> It inhibits the warning on systems which have the upstream fix applied
> (like fedora 7 since perl-5.8.8-19).

Unfortunately, after the upstream fix, the performance penalty is still
2-4x.  Prior to the fix, it was 8-12x.  Relative benchmarks including
5.8.8-24 were posted in
http://lists.scsys.co.uk/pipermail/dbix-class/2007-October/005119.html

The latest RH package I have tried is 5.8.8-31, which still has the same
problems.

--

Jon