[Dbix-class] Is the 'as' attribute to a search method broken?

Randy Moore ramoore at axion-it.com
Mon Oct 29 02:40:31 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm very new with DBIx-Class, but I don't think I'm doing anything wrong
<grin>.  It looks like the 'as' attribute to a search is not working.
I'm running inside of Catalyst BTW, and I've created a trivial example
that I think should work.

        my $rs = $c->model('PjAppDB::Categories')->search(undef, {
                select => [
                  'name',
                  { length => 'name' }
                ],
                as => ['name', 'namelength'],
        });
        my $result = $rs->first();

My Categories model class *does* have a column named 'name'.

This code is producing:   SELECT name, LENGTH( name ) FROM categories me
But I think it should produce:  SELECT name name, LENGTH( name )
namelength FROM categories me

The SQL query that it does produce works perfectly, I just don't see how
I can access the result for the LENGTH.
I was expecting to use $result->get_column('namelength')

Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Is there some alternate to using get_column that will let me retrieve
this unnamed value?

Thanks.

--
Randy Moore