[Dbix-class] [OT][ANNOUNCE] SQL Generation with SQL::DB

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Sep 5 18:49:53 GMT 2007

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 02:39:28PM +0200, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> This is the first formal release announcement of SQL::DB, yet another
> Perl/SQL interface. Version 0.04 of this distribution has just been
> uploaded to CPAN (should be there in an hour).
>
>   http://search.cpan.org/~mlawren/SQL-DB-0.04/
>
> SQL::DB is in development and this early announcement is to obtain
> feedback on the design and/or usefulness.

What justification is there for re-inventing SQL::Abstract and SQL::Translator
rather than sending patches? I like the interface but I don't see the
advantage of re-inventing all the underlying code when there's already good
prior art - and when the rest of the perl ORM/etc. community is finally
moving towards standardising on these two and maintaining them together.

How do you handle cases where you don't know the column list and need to
just do a SELECT '*' or similar?

http://chainsawblues.vox.com/                    http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/