[Dbix-class] [OT][ANNOUNCE] SQL Generation with SQL::DB

Emanuele Zeppieri ema_zep at libero.it
Fri Sep 7 10:07:26 GMT 2007

Mark Lawrence wrote:

> I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking. Do we agree that at
> the final output stage, the various values must be concatenated together
> to produce an SQL statement? This is the basic internal workings of
> whatever abstraction tool is being used.

Right, this is the *internal* workings, not the API! ;-)

Have a look at SQL::Abstract: it does not require *the programmer* any
string manipulations to automate the generation of complex where clauses.
Just plain Perl data structures.

I'm sure you perfectly know it ;-)

> If that is so, then you are asking how the following is evaluated?
>
>     ($track->length > 248) & ! ($cd->year < 1997)

No, I'm asking how it could be *built* by code without string
concatenations/interpolations.

(For example, think of arbitrarily data input by the user via a search
form that the code has to turn into (arbitrarily complex) where clauses).

> My apologies if I haven't answered your question.

No problems: it's been an interesting explanation anyway.

Cheers,
Emanuele.