[Dbix-class] [OT][ANNOUNCE] SQL Generation with SQL::DB

Mark Lawrence nomad at null.net
Mon Sep 17 10:17:07 GMT 2007

On Wed Sep 12, 2007 at 05:25:20PM +0100, Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 08:07:14PM +0200, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> >
> > Bitwise operators can be overloaded with Perl's overload.pm which is how
> > SQL::DB (and Tangram, where I first saw this approach) do their magic.
> > Unfortunately their big brothers (&&,||,not,and,or) cannot be overloaded.
>
> There is a solution to this. If you'd be interested in folding the
> work you've done on SQL::DB into a shared project I'll be happy to
> work with you on implementing it for that :)

Quid pro quo eh? It is a bit hard to say if I'm interested in 'folding
SQL::DB' into a shared project without knowing anything about what the
shared project would be.

As I said in the beginning, I wrote / am writing SQL::DB to satisfy my
own goals, not the wider community's. Of course there is probably a
certain degree of overlap (hence the GPL license and public announcement)
and if what I've written is worth something then great, of course I
see the benefits over an individual doing his own thing.

However if the community's goals are too different, or if the direction
diverges far from where I would like things to go, then, as is natural,
my interest would be less strong. On a more a practical level I've become
quite fond of Cogito/git... and would kind of hate to have to give that
up :-/

Make some concrete suggestions.

Cheers,
Mark.