[Dbix-class] Advices needed on creating multilingual application

mbit at ukr.net mbit at ukr.net
Wed Sep 19 14:16:32 GMT 2007

mbit at ukr.net(mbit at ukr.net)@Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 02:49:43PM +0300:
> Mark Lawrence(nomad at null.net)@Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 12:58:24PM +0200:
> > On Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 11:50:26AM +0300, mbit at ukr.net wrote:

> > The application might be 'easy', but the type of problem is not, otherwise
> > I expect we would have seen the major blogging/CMS platforms do this long
> > ago. Unfortunately I think the only ones who have made reasonable
> > progress are Plone and the Gengo plugin for wordpress.

Well, i did some research. For now i can say that in gengo (the code is awfull
though =/, maybe because of php) they have a little different approach.

We have data like in one language before. Then add language field. Then we have
a translation_group table that holds which data in a table is a translation of
each other. Well, it's quite easy for upgraiding from onelingual to multilingual
application, and downgrading as well. I don't remember if i tried that schema
before and if i had some difficulties :(

What do you think about that? Actually it is almost as adding a new post in
different languages and then gluing translations together. So there is no such a
thing like `not translatable fields', this way you have to type all the stuff
again.

And for example if we have something like photoalbum, we probably should make
some data with overlanguage possibility...

--
vti -- Viacheslav Tikhanovskii