[Dbix-class] Need a pointer

Alan Humphrey alan.humphrey at comcast.net
Sat Apr 26 00:40:22 BST 2008

All -

I'm not sure if this is a DBIx issue or a Catalyst issue.  I'm starting with
DBIx based on the error message.  At this point I'm looking for pointers as
to what to go to figure out this problem.

Scenario:  A Catalyst application using DBIx to access a MSSQL database via
FreeTDS.  The database lives on a different server than the web app and
there's a relatively slow connection between the two.  The web app is very
lightly used.  On occasion the error message below will be returned.  It
doesn't always happen at the same place and isn't always in InflateColumn.

I've gone back to the application code and put in more prefetches and this
has made a big difference.  At this point I can't duplicate the problem.
However, I feel that I've just kicked the can down the road and eventually
this will come back.

Any ideas about what I should be looking for?

Many Thanks!

- Alan

DBIx::Class::InflateColumn::get_inflated_column(): DBI Exception:
DBD::Sybase::st execute failed: OpenClient message: LAYER = (0) ORIGIN = (0)
SEVERITY = (78) NUMBER = (51) Server seattleaudubon, database Message
String: Attempt to initiate a new SQL Server operation with results pending.
[for Statement "SELECT me.id, me.map_id, me.default_ecoregion_image_id,
me.ecoregion_name, me.area, me.physiography, me.climate, me.habitats,
me.human_impact FROM ecoregions me WHERE ( ( ( me.id = '1' ) ) )"] at (eval
356) line 6

DBIx::Class::InflateColumn::get_inflated_column(): DBI Exception:
DBD::Sybase::st execute failed: OpenClient message: LAYER = (0) ORIGIN = (0)
SEVERITY = (78) NUMBER = (51) Server seattleaudubon, database Message
String: Attempt to initiate a new SQL Server operation with results pending.
[for Statement "SELECT me.id, me.habitat_description FROM habitat_codes me
WHERE ( ( ( me.id = '4' ) ) )"] at (eval 368) line 6

DBIx::Class::InflateColumn::get_inflated_column(): DBI Exception:
DBD::Sybase::st execute failed: OpenClient message: LAYER = (0) ORIGIN = (0)
SEVERITY = (78) NUMBER = (51) Server seattleaudubon, database Message
String: Attempt to initiate a new SQL Server operation with results pending.
[for Statement "SELECT me.id, me.ISBN, me.title, me.url_id FROM sources me
WHERE ( ( ( me.id = '381' ) ) )"] at (eval 391) line 6