[Dbix-class] Newbie - database structure

Dermot paikkos at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:53:42 GMT 2008

Forgive me if I am being foolish with this query. I am not expert in
Databases and new to DBIx

I have been working my way though the the Catalyst tutorials (I am presuming
that the list is familiar with these tutorial).

There is a section about making 3 tables with SQLite3; books, authors and
book_authors. The last table is described as
'book_authors' is a many-to-many join table between books & authors'

My query is: Is this the "best practise" or an over-simplification for us
newbies? Would you normally create a table for joins to show many to many
relationships? I would have though that you could use SQL statements to
retreive that rather than create a table of it.

Again, hope I not being foolish on my first post :~|
Dp.