[Dbix-class] DBIx::Class 0.08009 for testing

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Jan 22 09:38:41 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 10:49:43AM -0800, Marc Mims wrote:
> * Michael Higgins <linux at evolone.org> [080121 10:40]:
> > On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:44:50 +0000 (GMT)
> > Jess Robinson <castaway at desert-island.me.uk> wrote:
> >

> > > http://desert-island.me.uk:8888/perldists/DBIx-Class-0.08009.tar.gz
> > >
> > > Changes:
> > >          - Added Storage::DBI subclass for MSSQL over ODBC.
> > >
> > > Please poke this tarball some, so we can put it on CPAN!
> >
> > Doing my best to be helpful here.
> >
> > There was another addition to this (mentioned above) that I assumed
> > would be added in this next release, so I guess I should jump in.
> >
> > This:
> >
> > sub build_datetime_parser {
> >   my $self = shift;
> >   my $type = "DateTime::Format::Strptime";
> >   eval "use ${type}";
> >   $self->throw_exception("Couldn't load ${type}: $@") if $@;
> >   return $type->new( pattern => '%Y-%m-%d %T' );
> > }
> >
> > ... is missing. (Perhaps Marc Mims is the one to contact, as he added
> > the module, but hasn't, it would seem, committed this other key piece.)
>
> Hi, Michael.
>
> I'm trying to find time to finish work on the DateTime issue.  I know
> the build_datetime_parser you quoted above is working for you, but I'm
> not sure it's sufficient for all cases.  I believe it needs to handled
> dates as well, not just timestamps.
>
> I've done a bit of research and it seems the timestamp format you get
> from MSSQL through ODBC may be a standard ODBC format, not an MSSQL
> format.  I see a similar format, differing only in number of digits in
> the fractional seconds, for DB2 over ODBC.  That leads me to believe
> that build_datetime_parser might be best in ::DBI::ODBC with both
> ::DBI::ODBC::DB2_400_SQL and ::DBI::ODBC::MSSQL derived from it.

Ok, I need you to ask yourself three questions:

(1) Is this broken now?
(2) Will committing what you have so far be less broken?
(3) If you do, will there be anything that appears to work that will change
behaviour in a surprising fashion when you commit the complete version?

If your answers are yes, yes, and no, commit it and document that it's only
a partial solution. Better half-works than not at all provided it won't cause
an impediment to getting to "works 100%".