[Dbix-class] [ANNOUNCE] DBIx::Class::DigestOnSet 0.000001_01

Guillermo Roditi groditi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 04:15:52 GMT 2008

It has tests! it has full docs! it actually works!

I finally got fed up with DigestColumns. Some of you may remember that
I took over maintaining that module like a year and a half ago and
then ended up rewriting it because the original didn't work. Well, I
didn't change the interface because it wasn't my interface to break,
but I always thought it left something to be desired. I rewrote the
module and tests from scratch and I think the new version is both
cleaner, more elegant, and probably more efficient, which owuld make
it technologically superior. If you are a current user of
DigestColumns please take a look at DigestOnSet and let me know if you
have any suggestions before I go ahead and release 0.001000.

Main Differences:
-- Encoding is done at set time instead of insert / update time.
-- No more namespace pollution, the only item exported is _digest_encoders
-- Supports multiple digest columns of different cyphers and encodings
per table
-- Less code means less bugs, right?
-- copy operations were probably broken under the old version.
-- New name!

I'm looking for a better name, so if you have suggestion please let me know.

Code is in the DBIC repo (as usual) as of 10 min ago, feel free to poke.

--Guillermo Roditi (groditi)