[Dbix-class] Re: Versioned Cluelessness

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Mon Jul 28 01:31:32 BST 2008

Christopher Laco <claco at chrislaco.com> wrote on 07/26/2008 07:16:48 PM:

> Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
> > Jess Robinson <castaway at desert-island.me.uk> writes:
> >
> >> Long old thread but, feel like adding 2cents..

> > [?]
> >> Also I'm a bit surprised at this moaning, you know the drill.. If
> >> someone alerady wanted these, they'd be written by now, so I guess
> >> you're the only one that felt this way so far.. go do something about
it.

> > You mean a command like "dbicdeploy"? Yeah, shame it doesn't exist,
> > somebody really should write something like that. Oh, wait, someone
did:
> > <http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?dbicdeploy>.
> >
> > jrockway++
>
> Yeah, in another dist. How friendly. Like I said before, this is not a
> personal attack on anyone here. I do use Perl as my first language.
>
> But this attitude is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It's offputting and
> completely in denial that a lot of cat/dbic shit could be a hell of a
> lot easier compaired to other Frameworks.

The attitude could be softened a bit,  I agree. but the answer is really
valid.  Cat is a framework,  it is not intended for end users;  it is
intended for developers.  If you are writing a app with Cat and you need to
have an installer or test -> prod transition toolchain I think most
developers would write a wrapper script that works for their environment
and does a bit more than deploy().   If you are publishing an app and need
an installer kit,  same deal.  There is more to do then run a generic db
deploy script.  If you are a developer and just want to deploy,  'perl
-MMySchema -e 'MySchema->connect(...)->deploy'' seems easy enough for a
perl developer.  I guess I am wondering what usage senerio you are trying
to fix with the deploy command line?

-Wade