[Dbix-class] Re: Tests for MySQL's illustrious 0000-00-00

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Mon Jul 28 02:16:52 BST 2008

* Robert Loomans <robertl at apnic.net> [2008-07-28 02:05]:
> It's less of a problem if the code is developed on MySQL and
> then deployed on another DB.... the developer will add the
> column flag during development and be done.

I think that’s even more dangerous than the other way around: it
is very likely that the flag will be left enabled unnecessarily.
If a problem then causes date inflation to fail (and it will be
a real problem since the code is now running a competent database
engine), then the obvious sign of that problem will be silently
swallowed.

The same holds true even on MySQL, of course. Indiscriminately
suppressing all exceptions means throwing out the baby with the
bathwater.

Regards,