[Dbix-class] Re: Versioned Cluelessness

Tobias Kremer list at funkreich.de
Mon Jul 28 15:48:46 BST 2008

Hi Jerry,

Quoting Jerry Kaidor <jerry at tr2.com>:
> this catalyst/DBIC stuff ( BTW, what's the difference between DBIx and
> DBIC? Is
> DBIx just DBI - any-kind-of-X? ).

Before you're getting shot down for this question, I'll quickly jump in with an
answer :)

DBIx is just a (CPAN) namespace for all sorts of modules:

http://search.cpan.org/search?query=DBIx&mode=module

One of those modules happens to be DBIx::Class. To avoid confusion between the
namespace DBIx and the specific module DBIx::Class the official acronym is
DBIC.

>    I hear that application development is faster with a framework.  OK,
> how much faster?  Is it twice as fast?  Three times?  It looks like it
> will take a couple months to really get up to speed with this stuff.
> In that same couple months, I could have coded and deployed a major
> module "the old way".
> Is it worth it?

Definitely! The learning curve is steep but it will almost certainly pay off in
the long run. The code you'll come up with eventually will be cleaner and based
on an (often well)-documented architecture. It will let you concentrate on your
business logic instead of having to deal with the difficult details.

--Tobias