[Dbix-class] Re: Versioned Cluelessness

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon Jul 28 20:14:10 BST 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 10:01:00PM -0400, Christopher Laco wrote:
> Not everyone, esp when trying to decide on what framework to use, is
> going to get perl -M -e and being an uber perl master from day one.
>
> Here's the usage scenarios I'm trying to fix:
>
> > cake schema run create
> > manage.py syncdb
> > rake db:migrate
>
> Things like deploy/upgrade are a lot easier and more obvious in other
> frameworks. Yes, DBIC isn't Catalyst, but Cat Tuts push DBIC. It is the
> defacto ORM.
>
> We talk about things like C:Model::DBIC, yet if you want to use things
> like CatX::CRUD, they're not compatible models..forcing the user to
> abandon one path for another. This is compared to other offerings that
> just make shit happen for the user form the start.

CX::CRUD is -intended- to support DBIC as well as RDBO. Please file bugs
if there's a problem with it.

> > did:
>
> is not an appropriate answer for a new user or Catalyst or DBIC. It's an
> attitude. Why isn't that part of dbicadmin?

Because dbicdeploy isn't very general - it's "what jrockway needed" not
"what users will need in general". Which is why it's in the DBICx namespace,
where such things belong, and anybody who has the same needs can use it.

I'd be very pleased to have 08100 ship with a 'dbicadmin deploy' command
but given the complexity of upgrade policies etc. I'm not sure what the
general answer is, and nobody's tried to start a conversation to work that
out. I'd be delighted if you did - as the person complaining loudest about
the feature's absence I suspect you probably have a better idea of what
it -should- look like were it to exist than I do.

> Why doesn't Cat roll that
> into script/? Why doesn't a fresh Cat app automatically create
> MyApp::Schema, or at least make it easiser to do so?

Why haven't you posted a proposal on catalyst-dev@ proposing what would be
easier than

catalyst.pl MyApp
cd MyApp
script/myapp_create.pl Model DB DBIC::Schema ...

?

Actually, again, don't answer that. Please start a thread -on there-
proposing something positive we can actually -do- about this.