[Dbix-class] Testing classes as CPAN distribution?

Nathan Gray kolibrie at graystudios.org
Mon Jun 9 20:06:09 BST 2008

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 10:43:31AM -0700, John Napiorkowski wrote:
> --- On Mon, 6/9/08, Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When writing some DBIC extensions or other DBIC dependent
> > modules it
> > is useful to have at hand the full array of possible DBIC
> > classes and
> > relations.  What do you think about copying part of the
> > DBIC testing
> > library and releasing it as a CPAN module?
>
> I've actually been slowly working on something like this on the side.  I was thinking it would eventually be something like the way catalyst helpers work

I already extracted and tweaked the DBIC test module and put in on
CPAN as:

  Test::DBIC

Matt Trout noticed that it probably would be a good idea to keep the
test module as part of the DBIC distribution, rather than having it
separate, so that there are not circular dependency problems.  He gave
me a commit bit to put my Test module back in to DBIC, but I have been
on other projects for several months and have not yet gotten to it.

I do not want to recommend the Test::DBIC on CPAN, because it is there
only temporarily, but you may want to use it, recognizing that it will
likely make it's way back into core DBIC (probably with modifications,
because that is just what happens).

When back in core DBIC, I believe it should be installed as a module
that is available, rather than hiding in the distribution 'inc'
directory, where it is not installed.  If installed, users will be
able to use it to test their own DBIC code.

> If you care to collaborate we can meet up on IRC and work out some details, if that works for you.  I was orginally also making these test classes as something that's highly documented, that way they could server a dual purpose, both for testing and also as a teaching tool.   My current status with is is I got about half the schema classes I think I need for this to work, as well as a way to quickly deploy to SQLite or another target DB.

I am still not ready to tackle this project, but may be able to share
ideas.

I will be much more available for thinking about this at YAPC::NA.
This week I'm very much trying to wrap up loose ends at work before
that trip.

-kolibrie