[Dbix-class] how to persuade my colleges to use DBIx::Class

Stuart Jansen sjansen at gurulabs.com
Tue Mar 4 16:15:36 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 12:00 -0300, Jose Fonseca wrote:
> Isn't SQL dreadful enough to convince them!!!

SQL is actually beautiful. In fact, sometimes I get annoyed that DBIC
makes some things harder than SQL.

The dreadful thing is not SQL, it is moving stuff in and out of data
structures. That's why I love DBIC, because it makes my data structures
smarter, allowing me to focus on the interesting problems.

I would focus on the advantage of DBIC as a central point to enforce
rules that can't be easily enforced by SQL. For example, I've recently
become annoyed with the way my app handles whitespace for certain
fields. Instead of scouring the entire app adding normalization rules, I
can just add a DBIC component and the entire app is fixed painlessly.

--
Stuart Jansen <sjansen at gurulabs.com>
Guru Labs