[Dbix-class] DBIx::Class column list

Ryan D Johnson ryandjohnson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 00:09:30 GMT 2008

xyon <xyon at indigorobot.com> writes:

> Is there documentation somewhere addressing this that I could have
> looked at before posting to the list?

Sure.

First thing, the biggest hurdle to solving this problem is probably just
terminology. So do `perldoc DBIx::Class::Manual::Glossary`. That way
you'll understand that the "Table" in DBIC parlance is a "ResultSource",
which may have put you well on your way to figuring it out.

Once you know vaguely what you're looking for, there are a couple of
standard places to look. In your script, you knew how to get at the
Schema object and the ResultSet object, so it's reasonable to just do
`perldoc DBIx::Class::ResultSet` and look for something about result
sources. And there you'd find the method I pointed you at before.

Incidentally, if you'd started by reading `perldoc DBIx::Class::Schema`
instead, you may have arrived at a different solution to the problem:

  $schema->source('User')->columns

There's lots of documentation for DBIC, and sometimes it can be
difficult to know which bit you should be looking at. As the DBIx::Class
POD suggests, a good place to start is DBIx::Class::Manual::DocMap,
which has a list of lots of useful documentation, including pointers to
glossary and the ResultSet class, which we needed for this.

Hope that helps.

/rdj