[Dbix-class] Meta

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 23:06:33 BST 2008

--- On Thu, 5/22/08, Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us> wrote:

> From: Jonathan Rockway <jon at jrock.us>
> Subject: Re: [Dbix-class] Meta
> To: "DBIx::Class user and developer list" <dbix-class at lists.scsys.co.uk>
> Date: Thursday, May 22, 2008, 4:37 PM
> * On Thu, May 22 2008, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:
> > * hallouina-dbix at yahoo.fr
> <hallouina-dbix at yahoo.fr> [2008-05-22 00:25]:
> >> I'm new and happy to use DBIx.
> >
> > Short note on nomenclature: it’s DBIC, not DBIx.
> DBIx is a
> > generic namespace for DBI-based modules, and contains
> dozens (or
> > maybe hundreds) of modules completely unrelated to
> DBIC. DBIC is
> > just one of many DBIx modules.
>
> No offense, but I think it's finally reached the point
> where the
> correction is more annoying than the error.  I cringe
> whenever I see
> someone use the term "DBIx" not because that term
> is annoying, but
> because I know that the next message is going to be a
> correction.
>
> It's clear from context that "DBIx" refers to
> DBIC.  I agree that
> someone that uses the term "DBIx" looks stupid,
> but they'll eventually
> figure it out on their own.  Or they won't, and
> they'll just look dumb
> forever.  Nothing new; this is the Internet after all :)
>
> Regards,
> Jonathan Rockway
>
> --
> print just => another => perl => hacker => if
> $,=$"

--------

Maybe would be good if this was mentioned in the docs very clearly.  Something like:

When discussing DBIx::Class on the IRC, in the mailing list, or mailing lists of related projects, it is common to use 'dbic' or 'DBIC' as a shorthand for the project.  Shorting the project name to 'DBIx' is confusing and ambiguish, since there are many project under the DBIx namespace that are unrelated to DBIx::Class.

When discussing DBIx::Class in a public forum, such as your blog or in a magazine article, it's preferred that the full name be used.  However for tagging 'dbic' maybe used.

--------

We could place this in the DESCRIPTION section, right under the links for the mailing lists and IRC channels.  You think that's clear enough?

I think we should put it somewhere.  I remember how confused I was when I first started working with dbic, catalyst and trying to figure out the relationship between dbic and DBIx::Class.  To be honest, to use this term and not document it in some way is a barrier for a lot of people.

If we like the above I volunteer to paste it into the POD.

--John