[Dbix-class] update on DBIC / SQLA1.50 tests

BUCHMULLER Norbert norbi.lists at nix.hu
Thu Nov 6 09:44:21 GMT 2008

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 08:50:31 +0100 "Dami Laurent (PJ)"
<laurent.dami at justice.ge.ch> wrote:

> For info : the latest revision of SQLA1.50
> (http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/svnweb/bast/browse/SQL-Abstract/1.x/branch
> es/1.50_RC/)
> together with the DBIC patch from mendel (http://scsys.co.uk:8001/20236)
> fixes most problems.

Hi,

I've got an idea, but maybe I'm wrong: shouldn't we pass through blessed
objects in bind values unmodified (ie. without stringification)? That way
the user of SQLA can still decide what to do with them - in my opinion the
responsibility of SQLA is just to assemble the SQL string and data
structure that holds the bind values, but not converting the bind values
(unless it's absolutely necessary).

My proposed patch did pass them through, and it passed all tests, but now
yours explicity stringifies them (and SQLA explodes if such an object is
passed that has no stringification overload). I don't insist on my
approach, just wanted to make sure that there are valid reasons why we
should sacrifice flexibility.

norbi