[Dbix-class] RFC: InflateColumn::FS

Marc Mims marc at questright.com
Sat Oct 4 23:38:29 BST 2008

* Moritz Onken <onken at houseofdesign.de> [081004 14:00]:
> I think your code covers everything. Well, actually there is one more
> thing:
>
> It would be great if one could specify a column which takes care of
> storing the file extension. If such a column is present the filename
> should contain this file extension. This is useful if you deliver
> these files using a webserver which needs to know which MIME type
> to send and guesses that from the file extension.

I agree that's a useful feature, but I think it belongs in a derived
class or handled as just normal columns in the table.  It's useful if
you need it, but I don't think it should be required for all fs_columns.
I might well have a column that *always* stores JPEG images.  So, I
don't need the extra overhead to note that for each and every row.

> Another improvement I'd suggest is to handle the generation of the
> filename with external modules like
> http://search.cpan.org/perldoc?DBIx::Class::UUIDColumns does it.
> And to be even more flexible you could factor out the generation
> of the directories as external modules.

I'll look into that.

> If you need any help with that I can contribute some code.

As soon as we have SVN space for it, feel free to send patches.

> Aout the name: InflateColumn::File::Advanced/Turbo/Awesome/Extended
> or something :-)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have made another minor change.  I'm not storing the full, absolute
path for the file, now.  I just store everything below fs_column_path.
That makes it easy to move the entire storage tree and just change
fs_column_path in the table class.

	-Marc