[Dbix-class] DBIx::Class and Red Hat perl bugs and performance redux

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sun Oct 5 21:07:14 BST 2008

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 04:16:32PM +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> On 5 Oct 2008, at 12:00, Matt S Trout wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 02:34:10PM +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> >>DBIx::Class::StartupCheck
> >>-------------------------
> >>
> >>Both old and new perls trigger the startup check - as will any perl
> >>with
> >>the fixes to bless/overload bugs that is less than version 5.8.9.
> >>Other
> >>than doing performance checks, which would be prohibitively cpu
> >>intensive, I cannot think of a method for identifying this problem in
> >>the startup check code without hitting a lot of false positives. I
> >>see
> >>that this code is patched out in rpm distributions of DBIx::Class.
> >>I am
> >>wondering if the checks have now outlived their usefulness, at
> >>least as
> >>a by default option. Maybe they should be added to the test suite
> >>instead.
> >
> >Nobody will see the warning then.
>
> A run time check of this type is realistically only aiming at those
> using a system perl and their own cpan install - and you would hope
> that those people would at least look at any test suite failures on
> install.

Oh, we could fail tests, yes. But we were hoping not to do that.

Possibly we could check if we can prompt() and let people hit y<enter>
to make the test pass if they really want it to?

Hmm. Or do the prompt at Makefile.PL time would probably be nicer. We could
even write Module::Install::RedHatBug ...

> Unfortunately I don't think there is anything I can identify in perl -
> V which acts as a differentiator.  There is definitely no patch
> information in the output for the rpm built perls, so everything ends
> up being hopeful guesswork.

Er. There really should be something in registered patches. I could've
sworn that they usually did show that.

If not then I think the prompt approach is probably the least unsane, unless
anybody has a better idea ...