[Dbix-class] Insert or Update (was ANNOUNCE: 0.08099_08)

John Napiorkowski jjn1056 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 18 22:29:24 GMT 2009

--- On Sat, 4/18/09, Jess Robinson <castaway at desert-island.me.uk> wrote:

> From: Jess Robinson <castaway at desert-island.me.uk>
> Subject: Re: [Dbix-class] Insert or Update (was ANNOUNCE: 0.08099_08)
> To: "DBIx::Class user and developer list" <dbix-class at lists.scsys.co.uk>
> Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 6:38 AM
>
> On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Jess Robinson wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Peter Corlett wrote:
> >
> >>  On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 02:46:54PM +0100,
> Peter Corlett wrote:
> >>  [...]
> a/lib/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm b/lib/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm
> update_or_create {

> I can only conclude that people
> >>  *want* DBIC to be full of race conditions
> and potential data corruption.
> >>

> And now I've read the lower bits of the thread. Nope, don't
> like the
> patch. See answers below (prefer components or storage
> layer
> implementations).
>
> Jess

I also have some concerns related to any of the bits where reads and writes are mixed (or potentially so) behind the scenes, since the replication code has to allow the read source to potentially lag from the write source.  For me, I'd like to see more of this deferred to the storage layer, since the replicated storage can then intercept it and do the right thing, to keep stuff consistent.

John