[Dbix-class] Ordering materialized path searches

Ovid publiustemp-dbic at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 14 13:23:44 GMT 2009

Hi all,

You can read about materialized paths at:

  http://www.dbazine.com/oracle/or-articles/tropashko4

Having trouble ordering a search on a materialized path.  Let's say I have an object with an id of 17, it might have a materialized path which looks like:  '2.23.84.17'.  This is a branch in a tree with the 2 being the top of the tree and the 17 being a leaf.  To find the ancestors of a leaf, we have the following method:

I have the following DBIx::Class code.

    sub ancestors_rs {
        my $self = shift;

        my @ids = split /\./, $self->materialized_path;
        pop @ids;   # remove self
        if (!@ids) {
            @ids = ('NOSUCHID'); # XXX :(
        }

        return $self->_default_resultset('PCE')
          ->search( { 'me.id' => { -in => \@ids } } );
    }

The problem is that I need to walk up the tree from bottom to top but I can't figure out how to order the results correctly (they get returned in an effectively random order).  Thoughts?

Cheers,
Ovid
--
Buy the book         - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perlhks/